Hyper and Meta keep switching on me

Hi,

This may not be a sawfish problem, per se, but I hope someone can help.

When I first start an X11 / sawfish / GNOME session I have Hyper bound
to my "windows" key and set as Sawfish's default modifier.  Eventually
something happens, I know not what, where my keyboard shortcuts stop
working until I go into Sawfish's keyboard bindings configurator and
switch to Meta as my default.  This is on Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04,
currently sawfish 1.3.3.  I also run sawfish on my Debian systems and
do not see this problem.

Any ideas on what might be swapping this key def or how I can diagnose it?

Thanks,
-Brett.