Re: Child window information

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:30:52 +0200 (CEST)
Petter Gustad <sawfish gustad com> wrote:

> From: Ruchi Bajoria <bajoriar sg ibm com>
> Subject: Re: Child window information
> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:01:40 +0800
>
> > @Petter: If Sawfish does not mainain this ( assuming what you said
> > is true ) , do you think I need to use Gtk to get more detailed
> > window information? I am using Sawfish with Gnome.
>
> It's been a while since I've worked with Gtk, but the lower level X11
> libraries contains the structure you're after. You could look at the
> source of xwininfo as a start if you want to go down this route.
>
> > @Ethan: Im not so sure about parsing as I am not that fluent in lisp
> > yet... I would only like to try it if there is no other way out.
> > Please do let me know if you are aware of any previous work done on
> > this. Thanks!
>
> The rep Lisp is (unfortunately) not Common Lisp so you will probably
> have to port a Common Lisp parser generator like Zebu, Meta, CL-YACC,
> etc. to rep, which might be some amount of work.
>
> But I would assume you could get pretty far by grep'ing out the
> hierarchy from xwininfo and generate a tree Lisp structure that you
> could load into sawfish and process.

I was thinking grep. Awk or sed may be enough to generate Lisp lists, I dunno.

btw if anyone's thinking of actually implementing this Gnu grep 2.5.4 is extremely slow with some locales, awk and sed are literally hundreds of times faster. If you want to use grep set the environment variable LC_ALL=C or some such.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2009-04/msg00008.html

--
Ethan Grammatikidis
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer