Re: Infinite desktop todo ideas

Hi.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:50:50 -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> The point of infinite-desktop, as I understand it, is (a) to be flexible
> about viewport boundaries (i.e., the "infinite" part), and (b) to use
> the mouse to move around.

On point (a), smooth boundary and infinite-ness are independent. You
can limit the entire desktop size to 6x6, and let it scroll smoothly.

I didn't notice the seperation of mouse from smoothness. Yes, it's
possible to use keyboard to scroll viewport.

> But to do it right it should update viewport-dimensions, etc, and
> interact properly with the pager.

Sawfish-pager is already ok for smooth scroll and viewport dimension
change. But I don't know for other pagers.

If you're interested what exactly viewport is, read ewmh:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html
(I haven't read it ;). You may have to refer icccm:
http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/ (they provied tarball, too.)

If I understand correctly, there's no limit, from X viewpoint, of the
"large desktop" size from the beginning. It's Sawfish that devides the
desktop by screen size, puts VP coordinates like (0, 3), and imposes
the upper limit on VP coordinates.

Teika (Teika kazura)