Re: XFree86

Am Donnerstag, den 08.01.2009, 14:28 +0100 schrieb Gabor Z. Papp:
* Christopher Bratusek <nano-master gmx de>:

|    which makes maintainance easier.  Currently this rework breaks build
|    with XFree86 instead of X.Org,
|    I _may_ add that back, but: GTK+ has been synced with X.Org 7 several
|    times (mostly in gdk) and the
|    last time XFree86 was mentioned in GTK+ was in 2.4 times, so does
|    anybody now, if GTK+ does still
|    compile on XFree86, I guess not, if so, there's no need to add those
|    checks back. On the other hand
|    so or so _no_ distro, that is not dead or ancient, does ship XFree86
|    anymore ... so I'm not for adding
|    checks back. any comments on this?

Yes, some comments. :-)

XFree86 isn't dead, 4.8.0 released some weeks ago. Compiles fine on
old and recent systems (glibc and gcc combinations). Same with GTK+ & co.

For example on some desktops I'm using kernel 2.4 with glibc 2.3 and
the recent glib/gtk+ stuffs, like glib 2.19.x, and gtk+ 2.16.x.

So dunno why XFree86 went into trash here. Most distros prefer X.org
over XFree86, but that doesn't mean XFree86 doesn't works.
Not only distros are on the World. ;-)

Bonus: I have some NVidia based desktops too using the NVidia binary
only drivers for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

Anyway, after removing bogus configure parts finding XFree86 stuffs
(really pkg-config the only way to find headers and libs?...) I have
successfuly built and using latest sawfish repo.

Please restore XFree86 in configure.

I know that xf86 is not dead. can you attach the xf86 checks? I'll then add a new option to configure (namely --with-x11=[xorg|xf86] )