Re: Learning to program sawfish

Hi Omen,

I tried something like that before. But I did not like the cursor being moved depending on what would happen next, it was very confusing for me. I would like the cursor to stay where it is and the focus to stay with the window after it has moved. This is a very personal predilection and that's why I started trying to 'program' sawfish to do it. Soon after that I realized that I do not have the required information to understand how to program sawfish.

On the other hand, the information you have provided here seems to indicate that, indeed, using hooks is THE approach for programming sawfish.

thanks,
 Rodrigo

Omen Wild wrote:
Quoting Rodrigo Amestica <ramestica nrao edu> on Thu, Sep 04 14:04:
I'm trying to move windows with the keyboard in a way that probably makes sense only to me

[ snip ]

My thinking was like this: if the mouse is at the edge of the window and the next motion will move the window away from it and it also happens that there is an other window right below there then my moved window will lose focus. I do not want that to happen.

Apparently there are more people that think this way than you realize.
I have attached a file called maybe-warp-cursor.jl that I scored way
back in 2002 (origins unknown, Google fails).  From what I can tell of
your description above, it does exactly what you want.  If a window
move would leave the cursor outside the window, warp the cursor too.

Use by putting the following in your .sawfish/rc:
(require 'maybe-warp-cursor)

Omen