Font problem

I've got this annoying problem on my gentoo-installation on my ASUS
Eee901: I can't select a default font using the sawfish-ui, or I can
select it but it has no effect. If I select fixed-8 the next time I
run it the font is the same, some large Helvetica font (which takes up
a large portion of my screen real estate). I'm using sawfish version
1.3.3.

I've also tried setting the defualt font in my .sawfishrc file:

(setq default-font (get-font "fixed" 12))

which does not work either. Any suggestions?

Thanks