Re: getting most out of debugging sawfish (need debian packaging help)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 03:51:23PM -0500, Nathan Froyd wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Janek Kozicki <janek_listy wp pl> wrote:
> > For instance I have sawfish-dbg package installed also, but still the
> > executable is stripped:
> >
> >  $ file `which sawfish`
> >
> >  /usr/bin/sawfish: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> >  (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8,
> >  stripped
> >
> > anyone got any ideas?
>
> I don't have the sawfish-dbg package installed, but I'm guessing that
> installing sawfish-dbg places the debugging information (line
> information, variable locations, etc. etc.) someplace where GDB
> magically knows to look for it.  This has several benefits--easier
> packaging, debug vs. normal packages don't stop on each other, etc.
> etc.

This is exactly what happens. That's why the executable is stripped,
but attaching the debugger does work if you have -dbg installed.

To make your own rep -dbg packages, something like the following
*ought* to work (but I've never looked at that packaging, so ...)

Add a definition of the package to debian/control, probably at the end:

Package: librep-dbg
Architecture: any
Depends: librep (= ${binary:Version})
 This package contains the debugging symbols for librep.
 .
 It is useful if you find a problem and want to help find the cause.

Look for the dh_strip line in debian/rules and change it to:

       dh_strip -a --dbg-package=librep-dbg

That's it! (or should :)