Re: Sawfish/Gnome/Xinerama dropping windows

Scott Anderson <ee_in_co <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> I read a previous post a month or so back about Xinerama problems.  My
> setup is similar in that I currently have a dual-head with mismatched screen
> resolutions.  Left screen is 1600x1200, right screen is 1280x1024.  I'm in the
> process of getting a card that can dual 1600x1200 on both screens.  It will be
> interesting if my problem goes away.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sawfish/+bug/49740 indicates that same
size on both screens probably doesn't really matter.

Could it be that Sawfish is simply mapping the windows to weird coordinates so
that they are not on the current viewport?  In that case, you could probably
move them with a bit of sawfish-client hacking.

Let's say the missing window is the Gnome Panel:

vnix$ sawfish-client
sawfish 1.3, Copyright (C) 1999-2000 John Harper
sawfish comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the file COPYING

Enter `,help' to list commands.
user> ;; try to find a regex which matches exactly only the missing window
user> (get-window-by-name-re "gnome panel")
user> ;; nothing
user> (get-window-by-name-re "panel")
user> ;; still nothing
user> (get-window-by-name-re "Panel")
#<window 1200031>

user> ;; gotcha!  let's store a handle to this one
user> (setq panel (get-window-by-name-re "Panel"))
#<window 1200031>

user> (window-position panel)
(0 . 0)
user> ;; we speculate you'd see something really weird here

user> ,describe move-window-to
Native Function: move-window-to

move-window-to WINDOW X Y

Move the top-left corner of window object WINDOW to (X, Y).

user> (move-window-to panel 0 0)
user> ^D
vnix$

Does this help at all?

/* era */

--
If this were a real .signature, it would suck less.  Well, maybe not.