Re: Make progams open windows in specified workspace

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 03:56:15 -0600, <reg-sawfish neltus org> wrote:

Hi!

Can someone tell me how to make program windows open in a specified
desktop? I'm using x.org and sawfish only, and want to build a
customized startup script that opens several xterms and firefox but I
can't find a way to specify a workspace to open in.

I guess it's more than a simple parameter, like first switching the
workspace and then open the window? But it doesn't seems like a very
good solution because you don't even know how long to want for the
window to open in most cases.

I have searched a lot on google but not found a real answer.

Please help.

Regards/
Carlis

This question has been contemplated here before, and I don't think there was ever any real solution. The problem is that there isn't any way to know what windows a process is going to create when you launch it.

Probably the best you can do is to utilize Matched Windows in order to catch the windows when they are created and then you can specify a workspace there.

Hope that helps,
--
Eric Mangold