Re: sawfish doesn't remember

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:28:59 +0000 (UTC) Gary <gwitscher sbcglobal net> wrote:

> I'm using idesk and wanting to use sawfish on an older PII laptop. It's a fairly
> stripped down Debian Etch system. The sawfish version is 1.3 from the Etch
> archives. I'm also loading the sawfish-pager. My trouble is that I have monitors
> on the desktop that I want permanently stickied (I load them via my ~/.Xsessions
> file) but sawfish doesn't remember there locations or stickieness across
> startups (not even the pager location is remembered). I've been using E16, which
> does remember everything nicely, but I like the far better selection of themes
> in sawfish. Sawfish also seems to preform better and has some useful functions
> that E16 doesn't.
>
> Is there a way to get these positions and states to be remembered across boots?

A somewhat primitive method is to add the following in your X-session
startup (.xinitrc or equivalent):

----- snip - snip -------------------------------------------------
sleep 5; # Make sure all clients have started
sawfish-client - <./arrange_windows.jl &
----- snip - snip -------------------------------------------------

and then put something like this in arrange-windows.jl

----- snip - snip -------------------------------------------------
(unframe-all)
(setq ritzw (get-window-by-name-re "^RITZ.*"))
(move-window-to ritzw 681 601)
(resize-window-to ritzw 681 168)

(setq firefoxw (get-window-by-name-re ".*irefox.*"))
(move-window-to firefoxw 0 250)
(resize-window-to firefoxw 900 350)

(setq irssiw (get-window-by-name "irssi"))
(move-window-to irssiw 0 600)
(resize-window-to irssiw 680 168)

You can arrange your windows manually first, and then use xwininfo or
something similiar to find out the relevant coordinates and window
sizes.

 - Vegard -