Re: creating windows from rep

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:22:02 +1000, Josh Babcock <jbabcock atlantech net> wrote:

Eric Mangold wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 09:57:44 +1000, Josh Babcock
<jbabcock atlantech net> wrote:

How would I go about creating a window in a particular viewport? I want
to launch a Firefox window in a particular place, but I already have a
matched window setting that I first need to ignore.

Josh

I've thought about how to tie a process to the windows it creates before
and haven't come up with anything useful. The situation is even more
difficult in Firefox's case, because the process you launch to open the
window may in fact signal an already running Firefox process to open the
window on its behalf.

That can be prevented with the -no-remote option.

Basically I think you're stuck with matching the window when it gets
created, and switching it to the correct viewport then.

Hmmm. It would be nice if Firefox could be told to open a window with a
particular title. Since I don't feel like rebuilding Firefox, I'll let
that one go.

Can X and Sawfish tell how old windows are? If so, perhaps it would be
possibly to write a script that causes a window to appear, and then
modifies the most recent window.

I don't think you can tell how old windows are, but when you launch Firefox
you can just set some state and match the *next* window to be created.

Better yet would be to start a process
and get the window id back. then you could modify the window based on
the id.

I think what I will do is tell Firefox to start with some odd, unique
h/w dimensions and then match on those. Extremely ugly, but it should work.

Josh

Good luck!
--
Eric Mangold