function to maximize current window

I'm a new subscriber and new sawfish user.  I'm also one of a few
totally blind users using sawfish for its command-driven control and
lisp interface.  My first effort (like most first efforts) failed.
I'd like to write a function to maximize the current window to
full-screen.  the following looks like it should work and, obviously,
doesn't.
 (window-maximize-fullscreen (input-focus) t)
the input-focus call looks ok since
(window-dimensions (input-focus))
does the right thing.
The maximize call, however, produces only a beep and no extra output I
can notice, certainly no change in the window.
As a new user I'm undoubtedly doing something stupid but I've run out
of ideas of what exactly, any pointers?
thanks in advance
Peter

--
Peter Rayner: LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
address: Bat. 701 LSCE - CEA de Saclay