Re: Why does Sawfish dislike KDE dockable applications?

    TK> The KDE system tray uses a half-documented protocol which
    TK> requires support from the window manager, which Sawfish does not
    TK> have.  Freedesktop.org has a newer protocol, which does not
    TK> require special tricks from the wm.  The KDE 3.3 tray applet
    TK> seems to support both protocols but applications use the old
    TK> one.

Please note the problem occurs with KDE applications, with any tray
(e.g. in Kicker systray applet, GNOME panel systray applet, docker,
etc).  GNOME applications don't suffer from this problem, with any
system tray.  So maybe this is just some KDE library which uses the old
protocol.

    TK> The simplest way is of course not to use the system tray.

It is sufficient not to put KDE applications into the system tray.
Unfortunately, having Amarok in a panel is too useful to be satisfied
with this solution. :-(

    TK> I suppose that support for the old protocol could be implemented
    TK> in Sawfish but I don't know if it is worth the trouble because
    TK> KDE might and hopefully will stop using that protocol.

I agree, thanks for explanation!

BTW, I don't have time to debug the KDE use of the protocol, so I
switched to kwin as a workaround.  I was a bit afraid to return back to
a baroque window manager after five years of Sawfish use, but I've found
most things of my ~/.sawfishrc can be done in a window manager
independent way (and with more features) using todays utilities.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
It is the reformer, who is anxious for the reform, and not society, from which
he should expect nothing better than opposition, abhorrence and even mortal