Re: Dumb question: sources where, and what version?

At 21 Jul 2005 17:09:05 -0700,
Geoff Kuenning wrote:

> Making a long story short: I just upgraded to a new computer,
> installing SuSE 9.3, and found that SuSE no longer includes sawfish in
> their distribution.  The obvious thing to do is to download and
> install the latest version myself.

sadly to hear about this

> However, after a quick Web search, I'm confused.  I seem to be running
> 2.0 ("sawfish --version") but what's on sawmill.sourceforge.net is
> 1.3.  I did come across something implying that 2.0 was considered a
> disimprovement and has now been dropped in favor of the 1.x series.
> But 1.3 is over two years old, which makes me a bit nervous.

the right version is 1.3, I don't know the story here, but I use the version
from 20040120

> The Sourceforge page also indicates that Sawfish needs imlib from
> enlightenment.org, but that domain doesn't exist.  I found an imlib
> 1.9 on ftp.gnome.org.
you can get it here:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/imlib/1.9/imlib-1.9.14.tar.bz2

> So, to possibly save myself some time, do I have the correct version?
> And do I have the correct version of imlib?
good luck

> --
>     Geoff Kuenning   geoff cs hmc edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/
>
> The DMCA criminalizes curiosity.  It would put Susie in jail for
> taking her stereo apart to see how it works.

xue