Use Stow to manage installation of librep and friends?

Has anyone here ever tried to use Stow to manage the installation of
librep and friends?

It seems kinda difficult to redirect the "make install" step to a
different directory.  The installation of rep-gtk wants to install
itself into the directory where librep is installed and so on.

The installation step of rep-gtk wants to append to a file from librep
or from gtk it seems.

Perhaps I'm trying to separate packages too much, and I need to
install librep, rep-gtk, and sawfish into the same physical location?

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I thought I might ask if
someone has already done this.

tia,
Kai