Re: sawfish-client evaluation

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:52:30 +1000, Rafal Kolanski <rafalk cse unsw edu au> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, but since I've found
nothing, you are my only hope :)

The problem:
sawfish-client does not give me ANY errors whatsoever, no matter what I
type in:
  user> t3w
  user> gfd
  user> bfsd
  user> s
  user> (imaginary)
It also does not save anything into .xsession-errors ... in fact, that
file is always blank (it didn't exist until I created it anyway).

Well that's pretty strange. Check your configuration setting in sawfish-ui -> Miscellaneous -> Error Handling. A setting of "standard-error" puts things in .xsession-error for me. Alternatively the "screen" setting may work for you.

This is preventing me from writing anything really useful, for example
experimenting with merlin's message.jl:
  user> (require 'merlin.message)
  merlin.message
  user> (fancy-message "hello" ())
(doesn't show message, doesn't say anything at all)

My .xsession (runs sawfish as gnome's window manager):

PATH=/usr/local/X11/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH

if [ -x `which xscreensaver` ]
         then  xscreensaver  -no-splash &
fi

if [ -x `which wmsetbg` ]
         then exec wmsetbg ~/.backgrounds/death.jpg &
fi

xset r rate 250 30 b 0
exec gnome-session

Sincerely,

Raf.

PS. Has anyone visited the sawfish wiki lately? I've been removing spam
from there every week or so, but new developments in sawfish seem very
rare in the past years.

Yeah I visit the wiki every so often. Havn't seen any spam.. guess you're doing too good of a job ;)

-Eric