Re: Concrete ideas for the December-March OPW?

On Wed, 2014-10-29 at 14:10 +0100, Tobias Mueller wrote:
I would advise against popups though. Especially
those which are security relevant.

Normally I'd agree, but this would be a far cry from a "do you want to
do something insecure? yes/no" dialog. I figure if we throw up a big
symbolic keyboard (or a wireless network device icon or a USB hub icon
or whatever else) next to a big symbolic flash drive and say "What did
you plug in?", there's no way the user could get that question wrong.

Another approach could be a tool which you need to open in order to
activate
your plugged in device.
In that tool you see the device and its types. Then you press a toggle
button
in order to activate (or deactivate) the device.

To be frank, that sounds terrible. When I plug in a keyboard or network
adapter I want it to just work; I don't want to have to hunt for some
app on my computer to let me activate it. How would users ever figure
that out? Keyboards ought to remain plug-and-play.

I think it's OK to use a popup in response to direct user input
(plugging in a device); the problem is when they appear for no reason
(like the popups from evolution-data-server).

Happy Wednesday,

Michael