Re: [sabayon] Prevent users to delete mandatory gconf xml

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 16:52 -0300, Igor Morgado wrote:
> the problem with stick bit solution is that only root will be allowed
> to change the file too. That is, if a new profile is released, user
> will not be able to see the changes.

I just tested out an idea, and there is a way to allow changes without
allowing deletes, but it's very ugly (especially to do this to a user's
$HOME)

chmod $HOME to 1775
chown $HOME to root:username
set umask to 0002 by default
chown gconf to root:username
chmod gconf to 664

The file can now be changed by the user, but cannot be deleted. But this
is a REAL hack, so I'd definitely advise against it. And having a user
not be the owner of their own $HOME is AWFUL.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837