Re: [sabayon] Prevent users to delete mandatory gconf xml

Vincent wrote:
Hello,
I'm using sabayon on my desktop but i have little question about mandatory gconf xml file stocked in home directory of users. The problem is that the users can delete mandatory file and gnome desktop locks are useless... So i code a simple patch that create and locks this file to prevent users from delete it.

It's just a script executed after gdm login. The good point is that the script work, the bad is how it work. I use POSIX Acl to add a mask that to a root file in a user's home directory...
Yes I know, it's very bad because you need a F.S. with ACL enabled....

Maybe do you have any ideas to resolve this problem with another way ?

You could set the sticky bit on a user's $HOME, and then change the owner of the file to root:root. That's not much better than what you're doing now, but it would accomplish what you want.

(Just in case you're not familiar with it, setting the sticky bit on a directory makes deletes only work for the owner of the file instead of anyone who has write permissions to the directory.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837