Re: [sabayon] hello

Robert Taylor wrote:
> Well let me turn that around on you a bit.  The question is not 'whats
> wrong with this usecase or that usecase' but what is the continuum of
> interface customization and lockdown that is important here.

I just wanted to stress that you shouldn't lockdown it too much. Reminds
me of a previous job where the sysadmin decided that CTRL+N (open new
window) was not allowed in Internet Explorer. :)
> I know what you are saying and actually i agree.  But i believe we
> should be able to take a DE and strip it down to bare bones nothing if
> we desire, and allow for various combinatorial settings all the way up
> to full customizeability.

Yes I fully agree, thats why sabayon is here right? :)
> Locking a desktop down can be viewed as glass is half full, but
> conversely it can be seen as glass is half full.  I am approaching the
> idea from the perspective of enabling users and enabling workflows.

You mean one of those could be seen as half empty? :)
> In our testing of Linux, the BIGGEST OBSTACLE TO USERS has been
> consistency between interfaces.  They like to click around and customize
> stuff, but what really makes them happy is if their interface remains
> exactly the same between logins.

In my usecase the users have their own login name. So everytime they log
in the get it the way the left it. They don't affect other users if they
customize their own settings.

> :)
>
> I'm glad to hear that, I have to do a lot more research to become fully
> convinced of this.  The issue of locking down an interface is actually
> becoming  very important to us.
>
> However, we are piloting Ubuntu, and so far its actually trivial to
> replace windows machines with Linux ones.

Ubuntu is really great. We use it in an LTSP setup.
> I think its time to put up a wiki that thinks about these issues more
> indepth and brings together ideas and strategies from all the different
> projects and user experiences.

There is a lot of interesting material in the Ubuntu wiki and
interesting discussions in the mailing lists of various Ubuntu teams.
You should check it out.

Regards,

Herman Bos