Re: [sabayon] hello

Neat.

Thanks for the response thus far guys.

Alexander, thank you for some of the points below, I have not considered
a lot of the ideas you brought up.

Indeed, I think I now am starting to understand where the complexity is.

Allow me comment on only one point, that being the "anal desktop".  In
my humble opinion, there is no such thing as a 'restricted desktop',
there are only custom designed desktop environments designed for certain
workflows and the administrators understanding/misunderstanding of the
users needs.  Kiosks for example require different workflows and
security needs from programmer desktops.  In our own pilot testing,
CHOICE turns out to actually be a bad thing for our users, they say they
want choice but it turns out what they really want is for all things to
always be in the same place and work the same regardless of who the last
employee using it was (even without logging out).

My enthusiasm for lock down features does not revolve around disabling
the user experience but around engineering workflows for different users
and their needs. I have always thought of computers as 'interfaces to
the mind' and thus thinking about engineering this interface to the mind
on a needs basis is quite exciting, at least to me.

I will take due note of some of your points and start testing them
further, but in light of some of the things brought up, I would say
Sabayon is essentially useless at this point.  If a user can bring in
their own .gnome dir and run it, then effectively there is really no
point to this whole project.  I don't know why this didn't occur to me
before :)

This brings up an additional point, why would anyone even bother to
write such a tool that stores "lockdown" information in such a way that
the user can change it if they know how?  Why bother even trying to lock
anything down at all?

I am going to have to consider overall security and workflow/lockdown
issues further, perhaps redhat is right about linux not being ready for
the desktop after all.

- Robert