[sabayon] hello

Hi all.

Just a quick hello on the mailing list as the irc channel recieves so
little traffic.

According to archives mailing list isn't all that active either but just
wanted to make a bit of noise.

1.  We are expanding our Ubuntu on the desktop pilot and I am starting
to look at Sabayon much more closely.  I am curious, is anyone else
running linux desktops and actively using Sabayon?  How do you find the
tool overall?

2.  I noticed that LDAP support has been added recently, thats cool.  I
will try to give that a run especially now that gnome 2.14 is out
(although Dapper is delayed).  Anyone using Sabayon with LDAP? Any
thoughts to share?

3.  I noticed some funkyness in the general approach to the Sabayon
concept.  I grok the coolness of using xnest to visually drag and drop
changes.  Unless I am missing something here, the downside is that once
you remove for example alacarte or remove access to gconf via the 2 or 3
ways you can get to it, that you effectly 'paint your self into a
corner' where you can't go back and make changes that require those
tools for access (usually toward the end of the process where you go
'i'm done' then go 'oh shit i forgot something'.  Does anyone else find
this as well or am I missing something obvious?

4.  One "quirk" that i found was that one can disable access to gconf by
removing the icon menu, but that really isn't actually disabling access.
You are just removing the convenience and can still use nautilus
traverse the file system and startup gconf if you need to.  That brings
up the question in regards to what exactly are user profiles really
configuring, the desktop environment features or locking down the system
security?  I am just wondering if there is a general philosophical
approach to this, are we simply using sabayon to customize the user
experience and should use other tools (well normal unix techniques for
managing security) or is the project aiming at something more?  I'm just
curious about peoples opinions on this.

Thats it for now.  Please note none of the above are flames or
complaints, code talks and bs walks right? I just wanted to hear some
opinons in those areas to get a feel for where the project is going, how
people feel about this issues and how I need to think about it.

Thanks!

- Rob