Re: [sabayon] Sabayon for RHEL 4

On Tue, 2005-20-12 at 03:58 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > However, its probably possible to run sabayon-apply on RHEL4 machines,
> > so you might be able to actually push out settings to RHEL4 machines
> > even if you can't edit on them. (Dunno if this helps you though.)
>
>   I think that is possible, but I can't remember precisely, Mark certainly
> knows. Well you can try it, sabayon-apply doesn't have much dependancies.

Well, I gave it a shot.  I started to rebuild sabayon-apply on a RHEL 4
box.  At first it looked like it was going to work out, but eventually
the dependencies started to increase. I gave up in the end because it
would have meant replacing too many packages.  Here's what I did manage
to rebuild:

GConf2-2.10.0-4.i386.rpm
GConf2-devel-2.10.0-4.i386.rpm
glib2-2.6.4-1.i386.rpm
glib2-devel-2.6.4-1.i386.rpm
gnome-themes-2.10.1-2.i386.rpm
gtk+-1.2.10-39.i386.rpm
gtk2-2.6.7-4.i386.rpm
gtk2-devel-2.6.7-4.i386.rpm
gtk2-engines-2.6.3-2.i386.rpm
gtk+-devel-1.2.10-39.i386.rpm
pango-1.8.1-2.i386.rpm
pango-devel-1.8.1-2.i386.rpm
pygtk2-2.6.0-2.i386.rpm
pygtk2-devel-2.6.0-2.i386.rpm
pygtk2-libglade-2.6.0-2.i386.rpm

(I think one of the packages in there didn't have to be rebuilt, but now
I don't remember which one!)

It would have been really nice to have used sabayon-apply on a RHEL 4
system.  As it stands, it's not going to be possible without some major
rebuilding.

This sucks - a many of my customers that are running thin client systems
do so on RHEL 4 or CentOS 4 systems.  Sabayon would have made things a
lot easier. :(

Seeing how Sabayon is being targetted for Fedora Core 4/RHEL 5 and up,
is there any other option available for RHEL 4 users?

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu