Re: [sabayon] status

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 12:01 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> >         Perhaps the apply
> > 	should occur for all firefox profiles, not just the default. By
> > 	the same token should the recorded preferences be the union of all
> > 	changed profiles or just the default?
>
> 	I'd just save all profiles separately and add all profiles when
> applying. I guess for the default profile its different - you'd want to
> merge from the default profile (in the sabayon profile) to the user's
> default profile regardless of whether they have the same name.
>
> 	But you'd just create the other profiles (if they don't exist) and add
> them to profiles.ini when applying.

At the moment we force the profiles.ini file from the profile session
into the user's session, so the user gets those profiles. I'm not sure
what it means to merge the profiles.ini file. I think its a binary
choice, if the profiles.ini file does not exist then extract the one
from the profile. If it does exist then look up the default profile and
merge the contents of the default. At the moment I'm inclined to leave
all other profiles alone, its not clear to me there is a need here, and
if so what the right behavior is. I think it might be better to wait and
see if this is needed and how people want it to work.

One of the things that makes this messy is the presence of multiple
profiles both in the source and the destination and the fact they have
random names and random directory names, providing a sensible mapping
across all users (recall every user will have unique profile
names/directories) would be difficult to define. The only thing I can
imagine makes sense is to say in the profile session only the default
profile is monitored and users have either their default profile merged,
or they have all their profiles merged from the default that was
monitored in the prototype session (I'm leaning toward merge the default
into all existing target profiles).

I will modify the code today so that if no profiles.ini exists we lay
down the one from the profile session, if the user does have a
profiles.ini we apply to all profiles (not just the default). Not sure
this the right behavior, but its the best I can think of at the moment,
we can always modify it after getting feedback.