Re: [sabayon] Desktop mass-configuration experiences..

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:55:28 +0000, Mark McLoughlin <markmc redhat com> wrote:

>  1) Figure out a way to generate Evo accounts
>
>       So, we talked about this a bit on irc with Dave Malcolm. Ideally
>       what you'd do is run a sabayon session and create a prototype
>       account where you'd fill in the mail server info, maybe accept
>       the SSL cert for the IMAP server if there is one and fill in
>       a dummy name, e-mail address etc.

This might do for a first pass, but I'm not fond of it as a final
solution. Too much potential for user error when filling things out.
Ideally there would be a custom interface for configuring a generic
profile for Evolution (although maybe that's a seperate project in and
of itself).

>       The we'd have an evolution source, which you login would merge
>       the real username and e-mail address into that prototype account
>       data. How does one figure out the e-mail address, though? Is this
>       usually in LDAP or something?

Oh, right, that. :) Yes, we store the mail domain in LDAP (using a
custom field called weaverMailDomain), assume that the username is the
first part of the e-mail address, and get the full name via finger.

I have no idea if there is a standard way of storing this information.
My guess is that we probably want to make that configurable, since
different people might have/want different network setups.
--
William Lachance
wrlach gmail com