Many items showing up on PS3 but not XBox 360

I have both a PS3 and an XBox 360 in my LAN. My entire library appears without problem on the PS3, but only a few items show up in the video player on XBox 360. There does not appear to be anything systematic about which files are showing and which are not on the XBox 360 -- nothing consistent about file/media type, path, etc. The XBox 360 is only showing a very small fraction of what appears on the PS3. I have been using Debian Stable but recently pulled v0.34.0.1-e969e from git and rebuilt from source--no difference in what appears. Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot?