Re: Systemd status for rygel service

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 02:09:26PM +0100, John Obaterspok wrote:

Hi,

I'm starting rygel without an initial database and it seems to take many
hours to initialize the database (I believe it used to be much faster).

Do you have numbers? With the addition of mx-extract, it is supposed to be
a bit slower because it runs with nice level 19, but hours sounds a bit
off. How much data are we talking about

I have something like 50 000 images. It seems to spawn a new process for
each?

Images have always been slow, especially if they are very large. It should
spawn a process for every uri in the config, if it spawns more then it has
probably crashed.

Anyway, it would be nice if the current status could be shown using
sd_notify()
Like "Status: Creating initial database 10% complete" or "Status: Serving
3 files, last xxxxx.mpg"

First one can't really, because Rygel has no idea on how much data it has
to index. Second one could be done. Mind filing an enhancement bug so it
doesn't get lost?

Would it work if it checked how many directories there are and then show %
for how many dirs are scanned?

Yes, but that's the two treewalks which I would like to avoid here.

Anyway, please file an enhancement bug for this.