Re: How to actually use mp3-transcoding

On So, 2012-10-28 at 09:19 +0200, Mehmet Giritli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use winamp on windows with the ml_dlna plugin to play
> files from a rygel server. The music library is entirely flac and winamp
> can not stream flacs (it can play local flacs tough). So, I'm tring to
> transcode flac to mp3. I enabled it in the config file but winamp still
> trying to get flacs and fail since it cant do that.
>
> So, my question is, how is this supposed to work? I wrote to the author
> of the plugin and he is suggesting that "rygel has to exchange the
> FLAC-stream-urls with MP3-transcoding-stream-urls in its DLNA publishing
> service."

Sorry, that's just wrong. In DLNA/UPnP-AV, the _controlling_ party (in
this case ml_dlna) is responsible for choosing the most compatible
stream and not the server for working around broken implementations.
It's not our task to present any random renderer with just one
compatible stream, we would need to implement half a controller for
that. Instead we offer a list of streams in various formats.

Saying something like this is rather a sign that the "DLNA" in ml_dlna
is a false claim.