Re: Live streaming from PulseAudio in Ubuntu 12.04

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 08:04 +0200, Jens Georg wrote:

> Did you load module module-http-protocol-tcp as well as
> module-rygel-media-server in pulseaudio? This error and the 0 bytes
> indicate that the actual stream source is missing.

Ah that's the missing piece :) I couldn't find any reference to it
anywhere obvious, so I've updated the GNOME Live wiki in the hopes it'll
help other lost souls in future:

https://live.gnome.org/Rygel/Pulseaudio

> Also, in Ubuntu, the monitor sources tend to be muted by default, you
> need to unmute it using pacmd set-source-mute (That's for later if you
> get a stream but no audio output).

Thanks for the tip, but it worked first time without having to un-mute.
Perhaps the Ubuntu defaults have changed.

It tests OK on both my Android phone and my Samsung TV. It's puerile,
but I've uploaded a screenshot of the TV display when playing; it made
me laugh:  http://i48.tinypic.com/der47r.jpg

> > Is my logic flawed? Should this not 'Just Work' ?
>
> It should "just work" when module-http-protocol-tcp is loaded.
> Unfortunately module-rygel-media-server does not do this automatically.

It's an obvious question, but is there any chance of Rygel doing this
automatically in a future version to improve the 'out of box
experience' ? :)

Cheers,
Gavin.