Re: can't connect with Sony Bravia KDL-40Z5100

On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 15:59 -0500, William McCoy wrote:
> Yes, I think it is a firewall issue.  But I don't know what services to
> enable or on what port.  Do you know of an iptable configuration that I
> should use?

Is you home network such a hostile environment?

> I do have multicast DNS enabled -- that's the only thing I've seen
> mentioned in the mailing list archives.  Do I need to have an httpd

No, that's avahi/rendezvous/bonjour, the other service discovery
protocol.

> daemon running?  I notice that my Bravia seems to send out some packets
> referring to HTTP/1.1:

No, that's the SSDP protocol. It's based on HTTP but Rygel handles that
for you.

If you insist on running a firewall, you probably need to bind Rygel to
a specific port (let's say 34567 for demo purpose here) and the
following:

 - Your host needs to be reachable on
   * 239.255.255.250:1900/UDP,
   * 192.168.1.104:1900/UDP