Re: converting container formats

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeenix gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Michael Lawrence <lawremi gmail com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeenix gmail com>
> wrote:
>>
>> HI Michael,
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Michael Lawrence

>>  We are working on automatic and dynamic transcoding support: user
>> would be able to choose the DLNA profiles that she/he wants Rygel to
>> offer to clients from the configuration file (or commandline args).
>> The configuration file will provide enough docs in the comment so user
>> can easily choose profiles.
>>

> This sounds great. It also sounds a bit ambitious though, so how close is it
> to happening?

  Actually its not as hard as it seems. GStreamer is getting some new
elements/APIs that will great help in achieving this. My estimate is
that this will take *at most* 3 months more.

>> > As an aside, if Rygel gets an HTTP URL, from say a DBus provider, and
>> > that
>> > URL requires cookies to access, would there be any feasible way of
>> > giving
>> > those cookies to Rygel?
>>
>>  When transcoding is not involved and size of media is known, you
>> need to provide the cookie to client rather. Anyway, Rygel will use
>> either GIO or GStreamer's souphttpsrc for fetching HTTP content. In
>> case of former, I don't have any clue how to give it cookies but in
>> case of latter, there is 'cookies' property of souphttpsrc that could
>> be used for this I guess. Please file a bug regarding this and I'll
>> look into it at some point.
>>

> Sure. But I guess the major problem is how Rygel will be given the cookies.
> Would these be sent via DBus for sources based on the external plugin?

  Thats not at all major since adding a new prop(s) to both DBus API
and internal plugin API is trivial. :)

> I'll
> file a bug report and we can discuss it there.

  Please do. Just keep in mind that you are the first one to ask for
this feature so don't be surprised if we don't prioritize this. If you
want this soon, you'll need to do it yourself. :)

I looked into it and yes it's fairly straight-forward. But it's not of much use until the transcoding is made easier. Is there any way I could help with that? or are you waiting for up-stream changes in GStreamer?

Thanks,
Michael

--
Regards,