Re: Questionable quality translatable strings

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 3:09 AM, Lucian Adrian Grijincu
<lucian grijincu gmail com> wrote:
> I know you requested a bug for things that need fixed, but I'm trying
> to get the attention of all developers that are contributing
> user-visible strings.

  There are only two developers and all developers are aware of the
use of bugzilla. I asked you to report issues there cause its easier
to track the status of bugs.

> I don't know if you're aware of this but you have been recently added
> to the "Damn Lies" translation project

  I'm aware of that.

> http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/ro/gnome-3-0/ui/.
> You will most surely see translations trickling in even though GNOME
> is not yet in string freeze.

   Why does it say 0% for rygel?

> To me, a large part of the messages outputed by Rygel seem more like
> debugging, or error logging messages than user notifications.

   I pointed that out to people on desktop-devel-list and they asked
me to mark any strings that could be seen by the user to be marked for
translations. So thats what I did. In fact they required me to do so
for being consider for inclusion into GNOME. Would have been nicer if
they had pointed me to the URL you pointed to below.

> Please have a look at
>  http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines
> or at least at the "What should be localized?" page:
>  http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines/What%20should%20be%20localized%3F

  Thanks for pointing that URL, I'll remove the debug messages now at
least. Some comments/answers below:

>  ../src/plugins/media-export/rygel-media-export-root-container.vala:405
> Already harvesting; cancelling
> -- cancelling what?

  Another harvesting of the same media. Yes, we should make it more clearer.

> Please expand if this string really needs to be
> seen by the user.

  Yes, this string could be very useful for advanced users (but
non-developers) to figure out problems. Reading the web page you
pointed to, I get the impression that I should be doing this:

"These messages are of technical nature, yet they aren't only usable
for the developers when debugging, but may sometimes help other
technical people to resolve an issue themselves. As such, these
messages should be marked for translation, since in many places in the
world being technical and skilled with administering computers, and
having good skills in technical English, isn't necessarily the same."

  The same applies to most of the strings you asked if they should be
seen by a user.

>  ../src/plugins/mediathek/rygel-mediathek-rss-container.vala:103
> Requesting change since %s
> -- it's not clear what you're requesting. Are you requesting data from
> RSS that have changed since some date? Is %s a date?

  As I agreed in my previous mail, I'll unmark all mediathek strings
from translations so I'll ignore your comments on these strings.

> There are others, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

  I do and we will act on issues you pointed out soon.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124