From: rygel-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:rygel-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
Sent: Sunday, 10 January, 2010 02:16
To: GNOME UPnP/DLNA services
Subject: Re: ps3 cannot find mediaserver with rygel-0.4.8 and other errors

Hello,

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM, John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've  been testing rygel-0.4.8 in several situations:
>
> 1. Streaming mp3 to a ps3 - whereas the ps3 could connect to the media stream, but not play mp3 in earlier versions of rygel, the PS3 could not even detect the media stream with rygel-0.4.8
>
> Note that both gupnp-av-cp and rhythmbox/coherence could list the streamed mp3 in the above case, albeit from the machine running rygel.
>
> Did something change with the way media should be streamed to a ps3 as compared to earlier versions of rygel? This is using the built-in media server in rygel.

 What changed from 0.4.6 to 0.4.8 was that I made sure that everything
works nicely against PS3, especially streaming.

> 2. Streaming mp3 to gupnp-av-cp on the same machine - I needed to load gnome-icon-themes and symlink hicolor -> gnome to get gupnp-av-cp to even start, but after that and after loading gst-plugins-base/good/bad/ugly, gupnp-av-cp would list the mp3 files, but not play them and rygel gave the error below when attempting to play from gupnp-av-cp:
>
> ** (rygel:14048): WARNING **: DLNA specs do not allow 28125 as bitrate for MP3 profile
> With many different bitrates listed in subsequent errors
>
> I believe the mp3 files are pretty standard bitrates - any ideas what might cause this error?

 That is just a warning and could safely be ignored. Please run rygel
with log-level 5 and paste the full log somewhere. Keeping everything
you have told me here, I suspect you are still missing some needed
gstreamer plugins.

> 3. Streaming mp3 to rhythmbox/coherence on the same machine - the mp3 are listed, but when I attempt to play them, I get an error of the form:
>
> Couldn't start playback
> No URI handler implemented for "http"
>
> ..maybe this is due to the lack of a curl dependency in rhythmbox?

  Possible. Ask the coherence guys about that.

--
I tried again and this time I could play mp3 using either the rhythmbox coherence plugin or gupnp-av-cp - about the only thing that might have been different is using this to set up gstreamer:

#!/bin/sh

export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=xml:merged:/usr/local/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults

[ -e /usr/local/bin/gconftool-2 ] && /usr/local/bin/gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule /usr/local/etc/gconf/schemas/gstreamer-0.10.schemas

Would it make a difference (over using nothing at all)?

Anyway - rygel debug log attached, I won't be able to check again with the ps3 for a week or so