Re: ps3 issues

Hi!

>    Well in theory yes but rygel identifies transcoding target by DLNA
> profiles and these profiles are very specific (i-e SD, HD etc). Note
> that this is just the simplest solution I went for and I wont be
> against having non-DLNA profiles as transcoding targets if really
> needed.

As a first task, I think that Rygel should support any DLNA-compliant
file to be streamed without transcoding. I found libdlna has a pretty
complete "database" of media formats and its corresponding DLNA
profiles. I you agree with this, I can try to rewrite it in vala as an
object hierarchy (Rygel.DLNAProfile, Rygel.DLNAVideoProfile, ...) as
time allows.

Related to this, I found that the PS3 recognizes mpeg files as DLNA
compliant and doesn't tell Rygel to transcode them. Where in Rygel
sources is this handled?

>   That should be possible but we face the same problem i mentioned
> above: identification of transcoding targets by DLNA profiles. At the
> very least we should be easily able to avoid re-encoding to mpeg2 if
> source stream is already in that format (this one is already on my
> TODO).

>    About quality, I really haven't noticed anything with HD but with
> SD yes the quality is pretty low and I am not astonished since it is
> being scaled up again on the PS3 to fit my 1366x768 screen.

The problem seems to be that the default bitrate for ffenc_mpeg2video is
very low (300kbps). I changed it to 3Mbps and it improved a lot. By the
way, why don't you use mpeg2enc which seems to be the preferred encoder
for mpeg2?