Re: GNOME Roadmap - Information request for gnome-control-center

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 23:34 +0000, GNOME Roadmap Gang wrote:
> Dear maintainer(s),
>
> GNOME 2.20 has been released and we've all started to focus on the next
> development cycle. As part of our roadmap process, we're now gathering
> information about our 2.22 plans and beyond. The goal is to compose a
> GNOME-wide roadmap for the next stable releases. And we need your help
> to do this. It's important that you take a few minutes to reply to the
> following questions before October 17.
>
> ----
>
> - What are your plans for GNOME 2.22 (next 4 months, before feature and UI
>   freezes)?

continue merging of applets:
- new localisation capplet with keyboard layout and language
- (maybe) input devices capplet with keyboard and mouse (and tablets
and ...)
- screen capplet with screen resolution + screensaver + xrandr
- desktop effects in appearance capplet

other fixes:
- more performance fixes in gnome-settings-daemon
- libslab API review and bonobo replacement (with GtkUnique)
- (maybe) about-me and online desktop?

> - What are your plans for GNOME 2.24 (next year)?

- about-me probably won't do it for 2.22, so this is for sure one of the
things to do for 2.24
- finish anything missed in 2.22 :-)

> - Do you have plans for a future release?

not much beyond 2.24

> - Do you have any goals from 2.20 that were not achieved? Why?

some capplets were not merged because it was not clear (and hard to get
consensus) how they should be merged. Discussion about this is still
going on on the gnomecc-list@

> - Is there something that is really missing in our infrastructure or platform
>   that would help you?

nothing I can think of right now. I am used to what we have, so it works
pretty well for me, although I'm sure there are lots of things we could
do, in the line of what the build brigade is doing, apart from really
having a way for doing automated tests.

> - Do you have plans to work on other modules not maintained by you?  What are
>   they?

libslab, from gnome-main-menu. Not sure if we should make that part of
gnome-control-center itself, instead of using a static copy of the lib.

> - Do you have any GNOME-wide goals suggestions for the next releases?

more integration of XGL effects into applications would be a really nice
thing to have.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>