Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Plug-in no longer working since update on Manjaro

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 5:50 PM Kip Warner <kip thevertigo com> wrote:
I think this would be a good project for my friend Reed to look into
maintaining. I've copied him. Please consider following up with him.

Great! I'm following up to the list at the same time as I guess this is interesting for everyone.

I don't think we have a written 'policy' for taking over a possibly abandoned project, but this is my advice.

1. Get familiar with the codebase, open merge requests for some open issues you find on GitLab (this issue with extensions might be a good starting point).
2. Create a personal fork. Look at the existing merge requests and include any good ones in your fork. Leave questions and comments on the MRs that you're not sure about merging. Get people from the community to test out your fork.
3. Try to speak with the existing maintainers (see the MAINTAINERS file in the tree). They may have already noticed your review activity and your existing fork, if not, be sure to make them aware of it. The work you've done will make it obvious that you're ready to step up as a maintainer. They'll hopefully advise you how to proceed.
4. If you can't get in touch with any maintainers, things are a bit more difficult, but you'll be able to get the right permissions eventually. Ask for help whenever you are stuck. https://wiki.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner gives a rough guide of what to do.

Sam