Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] User Interface proposals

On 01/22/2012 01:33 PM, Sean McNamara wrote:
1. Need to know size of library before I attempt to transfer songs
to an mp3 player (or mobile device with limited space), so I can
figure out if I need to recompress songs to a lower bitrate or remove
songs entirely, etc 2. Number of songs is a useful metric for me as a
DJ because it helps me communicate with other DJs how diverse my
collection is. Sure I could write a shell script to gather the same
info, but _why_ should I have to when this excellent functionality is
already there?
Thanks for those! Did not think about them.

On the other hand, if you remove the status bar but maintain the
information that is displayed in it somewhere else in the Rhythmbox
UI, that's fine with me. I guess I should clarify my viewpoint: I
don't care that the information *is in the status bar*; I care that
it is easily accessible *somewhere within Rhythmbox*. If you want to
remove the status bar but maintain the information (in the same
textual format it's in now) elsewhere, I'd almost agree with that
without even looking at the new location where you're going to place
it. I've come to rely on Rhythmbox for this information, and I'd
really like to see a shift in GNOME, away from the philosophy of
flat-out culling features for the sake of simplicity, and toward
cleverly obscuring or hiding the least-used features so that power
users accustomed to complexity (*raises hand*) can still use rich
feature sets, while non-power-users won't be overwhelmed by the
default behavior.
Took note of this and incorporated it (and more) into the wiki:
https://live.gnome.org/Rhythmbox/UserInterfaceReworkProposals#Disable_Statusbar_by_default

----