Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] User Interface proposals

Le 23/01/12 05:33, Sean McNamara a écrit :
> Hi,

>> > That interests me. Could you detail the use cases involving looking at
>> > the status bar? There might be ways to get rid of the status bar while
>> > still preserving this information available.
> Use cases for this:
> 1. Need to know size of library before I attempt to transfer songs to
> an mp3 player (or mobile device with limited space), so I can figure
> out if I need to recompress songs to a lower bitrate or remove songs
> entirely, etc
> 2. Number of songs is a useful metric for me as a DJ because it helps
> me communicate with other DJs how diverse my collection is. Sure I
> could write a shell script to gather the same info, but _why_ should I
> have to when this excellent functionality is already there?

3. Determining the play length of an album/playlist.

I am rather old-school in that I prefer to listen to whole albums or
EPs, in their entirety. I never listen to individual tracks. Knowing how
long a disc will play for can therefore be a useful aid in selecting
what to listen to[1].

Since a collection of music on a disc isn't a concrete concept in RB, it
doesn't do things like display or allow one to sort on disc length. The
status bar is currently the only way to determine that. I believe this
also applies to play lists, and hence is important in constructing them.

Of course, if RB would display album length elsewhere, say in the
browser, I'd be happy for the status bar to go away.

//Mike

[0] - The only things I ever really to be able to browse by, and hence
sort on, is disc length. Everything else is best found by search. Sadly,
this isn't possible in RB, and was why I switched to Quod Libet for a
while. Unfortunately, the rest of QL's UI is bat-shit insane, so I have
since switched back.

--
⊨ Michael Gratton.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>