Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] converting python plugins to work with git

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Lachlan <lachlan 00 gmail com> wrote:
> I've compiled the latest version of rb from git and things are looking great.
>
> have there been any write ups about converting python/pygtk plugins to
> be gtk3 compatible?
> i've seen posts about it but nothing with any details on what has to change.

Not really - partly because I haven't quite finished breaking the
plugin API, partly because I'm lazy. For now it's probably easiest to
look at what happened to the in-tree plugins when they got converted.

This script takes care of some of the pygtk conversion:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/tree/pygi-convert.sh
I've never actually used that myself, though, so I'm not sure how
useful it really is. You'll still need to convert code using rhythmbox
interfaces manually, of course.

> also now that everything is gtk3 will there be a new location for user
> plugins? ($home/.gnome3/rhythmbox/?)

No. ~/.gnome2/ has been deprecated for a few years now, the correct
location is ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/plugins/.

> all of my user plugins are missing from the plugins menu so i assume
> something has changed there.

We've switched from the old cut-and-paste plugin system to using
libpeas. The plugin descriptor file extension has changed (from
.rb-plugin to just .plugin) and the base class for plugins is now
Peas.Activatable rather than RB.Plugin, though that may change again.
Here's a reasonable example of the changes required:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/rhythmbox/commit/plugins/sendto?id=10d3c766781a2ae52aab23da47045849d1a3bf92