Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Airplay/Airtunes Support

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Christophe Fergeau <teuf gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

2011/1/10 Craig Harding <craigwharding gmail com>:
> Pulseaudio does this AFAIK. I haven't tried these links below as I don't
> have an airport express but it seems to work for people that have it.

Yep, pulseaudio has support for airport express devices. However, I
get really choppy sound with it, I hope you'll get a better experience
:)

I think that's been pretty well documented.  Supposedly moving to the new protocol will fix things.

> There is a known 5-6 second delay when starting/stopping music from your
> computer to the airport express. I believe someone is starting the
> documentation on the newer
> protocol: http://git.zx2c4.com/Airtunes2/about/ to alleviate this.

There's a pulseaudio plugin in the work using this new protocol, but
it's not ready yet.

So in general, I think you'll simply have to wait till they finish porting to the new protocol.  Once we do, I really think a GNOME Journal article describing how to do this with Rhythmbox would be nice.  How about one of you fine upstanding gentleman volunteer to write such a beast? :-)

sri