Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] New features for Gnome 3

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 12:36 AM, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan d14n org> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 3:04 AM, Gendre Sebastien <korbe romandie com> wrote:
> Le vendredi 07 janvier 2011 à 07:26 +1000, Jonathan Matthew a écrit :
>>
>> At this stage we'll be lucky if we can get everything working by the
>> GNOME 3 release date, so the only ideas that would really help right
>> now are those that reduce the amount of work that needs to be done and
>> those that come with patches attached.
>
> If you needs help to be ready for Gnome 3, I can help.
>
> Just say what part need help and I turn my personal project to pause.

Most of the GNOME 3 work is currently in the increasingly inaccurately
named gobject-introspection branch in git:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/rhythmbox/log/?h=gobject-introspection -
if you want to work on this, the first thing you need to do is to get
a working development environment. Building GNOME Shell using jhbuild
gets you most of the way there. Building pygobject and possibly
totem-pl-parser from git is probably all you need to do from there.

Hi Jonathan, that is a great start!  Thanks for clarifying all the tasks necessary to get this ported!  I would love to see the libpeas stuff replace the current plugins since that would allow a wider number of plugin languages if I recall.

sri

sri

The Python plugins (most notably the lyrics, cover art, magnatune and
jamendo plugins) need to be converted to use PyGI introspected
bindings instead of the static rhythmbox bindings and pygtk. Working
on this will probably involve identifying bugs and missing features in
gobject-introspection and pygobject and working to get them fixed.

GTK 3.0 uses different methods for widget size allocation, but so far
I haven't really investigated how we should be using them, so some
things probably don't quite look right. There may be other problems
with the GTK 3.0 code.

Other less vital tasks include reworking existing dbus code to use
gdbus instead of dbus-glib, reworking existing gconf code to use
gsettings, and looking into using libpeas instead of the existing
plugin system. There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting. I've made
a start on some of these, but any code that exists is only stored on
my laptop.

If you want to talk about this more, drop by the #rhythmbox IRC
channel on irc.gnome.org.