Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] A couple suggestions

Hi,

I'm not a Rhythmbox developer but thought I'd jump in anyway.

On 22/02/11 08:04, Damien Radtke wrote:
    * When the play queue finishes, stop playing rather than return to
      the previously-selected song. This is how players like Banshee
      work, and I know that when my play queue empties, I expect the
      player to stop playing

I'm not quite sure about this one. Now that I think of it, continuing playback from where it left off after the queue has been emptied might be unintuitive to some people. However, I've always thought of the queue as an "override", sort of like a jukebox that can be used to choose my specific picks, after which playback continues doing its own business (e.g. continue playing randomly, or a playlist, or whatever).

I imagine this may have been close to what the developers of the queue were also thinking because the current behaviour suits this model pretty perfectly.

It would be interesting to know how and for what people use the queue in general.

    * Move the play queue sidebar to the right side, when visible. This
      gives much more room to see the tree browser, cover art, and
      queue, although currently telling Rhythmbox to hide the queue
      hides the entire right panel

I use the context pane which also places itself on the right, and having an entire sidebar of its own would increase the total number of sidebars to three in this case. I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Also, where would the queue source reside when the queue is set to not be sidebar? Having such a component jumping from the left to the right with a simple tick of a menu item seems a bit ugly to me, although I can't really explain why, so I'd be interested in more comments regarding this.

Mika