Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] iPod firmware update

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:29, Calvin Walton <calvin walton gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 16:17 -0400, tj walters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if, you can add something that can update an iPhone /
> iPod firmware, using Rythmbox? If that is not possible, is their any
> other way to update my iPod firmware manually?

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Apple provides standalone firmware
updates for the iPod line, let alone documentation on how to do such an
update. If you want to update your iPod firmware, you'll have to install
iTunes and connect your iPod to that.

I've heard some reports that iTunes runs win Wine; that may be worth a
try if you don't have a Windows (or Mac) computer available.

I don't think you can upgrade the firmware with Wine, even if iTunes works on it (and I think only older versions of iTunes works on Wine). What some users have reported some success is using a virtual machine (Vmware, VirtualBox, etc). But you should look at some guides first.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin walton gmail com>