Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] MPID - Can't find path

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 08:43:46AM -0800, lucas gary gmail com wrote:
> First off, should I reply to Christophe or the whole list + christophe?

As far as I'm concerned, both are fine, I'm not sure what the recommended
pratice is for this list (reply to list maybe ?)

> 	/* FIXME: we should really query MPID for this */
> 	ret = g_list_prepend (ret, g_strdup ("audio/aac"));
> 	ret = g_list_prepend (ret, g_strdup ("audio/mpeg"));

Ah ok, I understand better your questions now :) For iPods showing up as
mass storage devices (ie non-iOS devices), this could indeed work, though the
list would be hardcoded too, just in another place. However, iPods/iPhones/...
can be directly queried for this information, so I'd just go this way. If you
look in iTunes_Control/Device/SysInfoExtended, you'll see that it has a list
of supported audio codecs, so the best way of fixing that FIXME would probably
be to use this list. However, this is not the easiest thing to do, how I'd go
to do it would be to add some API in libgpod to get this data in a nice format,
but I haven't given more thoughts than that about it.

> It's basically a pet project to get more involved in OSS
> development...  And more specifically because the subject matter
> interests me.

Would fixing this fix a bug you're experiencing, or are you just trying to
get your hands wet and have fun?

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions you might have about that :)

Christophe