Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] gobject-introspection branch

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan d14n org>
> wrote:
>>
>> - generate gobject-introspection gir and typelib files
>> - remove all pygtk setup code and replace it with pygi setup
>> - convert all in-tree plugins to at least theoretically work with pygi
>> (some crash, some just don't work, some are OK)
>> - start adding annotations to the core code
>> - attempt to generate vala .vapi files (currently fails dismally)

- use gtk+ 3.0 if available (requires libnotify, gnome-media-profiles,
brasero, and webkit built with gtk+ 3 too)

> That is awesome..
>

>> I'm not expecting to finish this any time soon. It'll probably end up
>> blocking on replacing gconf with GSettings, I'll probably replace the
>> current plugin system code with libpeas at the same time, and there
>> are some internal issues that make introspected bindings difficult, so
>> I'll probably have to fix those first.
>
> What kind of issues, out of curiosity?

The main problem is that RhythmDBEntryType is currently a structure
with a bunch of function pointers in it, rather than a GObject class
with a set of methods. I'm working on fixing this.

>> If you're maintaining an external plugin, you might want to take a
>> look to see what sort of changes you'll need to make when this lands.
>> This will be a near-total API break for rhythmbox, just like it is for
>> (py)gtk, and there's no way to gradually switch over.
>
> This is a big win though after it is complete since we would be able to
> support any kind of language for a plugin.  I'm happy to see.  Thank you for
> starting it.

I'm not sure we'll really expand the set of languages available for
plugins. Loading multiple language runtimes into the same process can
cause weird problems.