Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] About device auto detect/import

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Wyatt Greenway <th317erd gmail com> wrote:
> Dear Developers of Rhythmbox,
>     I have been using Rhythmbox for a while now and would like to say that
> it has so far been my favorite player for Linux... except for one VERY
> horrid "feature". This is a letter of complaint to complain about
> Rhythmbox's horrid manner of auto importing any device I plug in to my
> computer. There is no way to turn off this stupid "feature", so when I plug
> in my 16GB COWON S9, I am forced to either wait until it duplicates all
> entries in my playlist with what's on my device, or I am forced to quit the
> entire program and restart it. There is no way to quit the importing, no way
> to keep it from happening... as soon as my device is plugged in (every day
> to charge it), Rhythmbox, as dumb as it is, takes off on this jolly-ol' ride
> of "import import import!".

I'm sure you enjoyed writing all of that, but it's really not a
helpful attitude to take when writing bug reports.

> I am here to complain, and to state with an attitude that I will refuse to
> use Rhythmbox until this "feature" is removed or configurable to "turn off
> you $!$%!@". Thank you for all your hard work, keep trying.

A couple of things it might help to realise:
- Development effort does not happen as a result of a complaint like
this, no matter how strongly worded.
- No one cares what software you use. If you use and enjoy Rhythmbox,
that's great, but if you don't, it really doesn't bother anyone. There
are billions of people who will never use Rhythmbox, so what's one
more?

Anyway, this might help: gconftool-2 -s -t bool
/apps/rhythmbox/plugins/generic-player/active false

have a nice day!