Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] External podcasts

Hi Dave,

Disclaimer: I don't know this code at all ;)

2009/6/20 Dave Martin <david airgeadstudio net>:
> Option 1 is to hook into the ryhthmdb monitoring functions. That would
> involve adding the podcast download location to the list of monitored
> directories which is simple enough. The problem is that it looks like it
> will be a lot of work to process the change events correctly for podcasts -
> the whole monitoring thing assumes that everything being monitored is a song
> so teaching it to distinguish between songs and podcasts would be a fair bit
> of work.

This option looks like the cleaner way of doing it, but I understand
it can be complicated to change the monitoring stuff if it's hardcoded
to only monitor for new songs :-/

> Another problem is that it would only find new episodes when the
> updater runs (every hour by default) rather than them appearing as soon as
> they appear on the filesystem.

This is the thing that worries me most with this option, some people
will probably be surprised by this behaviour, or maybe won't even
notice it exists. Though I guess it would work to go with option #2 at
first, and make sure the code won't need tons of changes if someone
wants to implement option #1?

These are just random thoughts, I haven't really looked at that code
:-/ Hope that's still a little bit helpful,

Christophe