Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox sets permissions to 0600 when tagging a file

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 01:46:00PM +0200, Alexander Kurtz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I manage my music collection with rhythmbox and share it via samba.
> However, rhythmbox sets the file permissions to 0600 when tagging a
> file, regardless what they have been before. This causes problems since
> the "guest"-account of samba is "nobody" (UID 65534), so these files can
> not be accessed via samba any longer once they have been edited and I
> have to manually chmod 644 them.

Tag editing in rhythmbox works by completely rewriting the file, and currently
no effort is made to preserve the original permissions.  This would be a
relatively simple thing for someone so inclined to fix.  gio provides a
function for this very purpose, g_file_copy_attributes.