Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] information requested

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 22:17 +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 01:50:35PM +0200, Francesco Miglietta wrote:
> > Is it true that the ubuntu team wants to replace rhythmbox with banshee
> > on 9.10 version?
> > I love your product and i don't understand the motivations, could you
> > explain me if any?
> > Has Banshee some features than Rhytm has not? Something thant you
> > couldn't add quickly to your player before the 9.10 release?
>
> This is true.  I can't find any real information about the motivations behind
> it.  The outcome of the decision process (whatever it was, I wasn't involved in
> any way and I don't know how it worked) seems to be that if certain features
> are implemented in banshee by some deadline, then banshee will replace
> rhythmbox in the default ubuntu install.  There doesn't appear to be any
> consideration for changes made to rhythmbox during that period.

I wonder if this decision by Canonical/Ubuntu has anything to do with
that e-mail (from Jonathan Matthew) that floated by here a few months
ago about the lack of future of rhythmbox?

There is also this poll:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1076064 which clearly shows the
preference for Banshee.  The very first post in the poll details the
"lack of future" posting by Jonathan and the reasons he gave.

b.