Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox clobbering sound files

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Tom Rindborg <Tom Rindborg fatburen org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of resampling my CD collection with a more modern lame
> and with higher bit rate. Having done so with a few albums I noticed that
> some songs were inexplicably corrupted (truncated & tags changed), and since
> I access my music from several hosts (including Windows) I tended to
> initially blame my Windows systems for the corruption, but alas it turns out
> that Rhythmbox is the culprit (running Ubuntu 9.10 and Rhythmbox 0.12.5). I
> have now write protected my music collection, and when I restart Rhythmbox
> after having resampled a CD I get a lot of popups from Rhythmbox complaining
> that files cannot be updated.
>
> Personally I do not want ANY program to modify my sound files unless I tell
> it to, so I am a bit curious: what is the reason Rhythmbox is trying to
> modify my sound files? I cannot find any option controlling this behavior,
> is there one, or would that be a feature request? :-)

Rhythmbox absolutely should not be modifying files, unless you
directly tell it to using the song properties window. Please file a
bug (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=rhythmbox) and
attach output from 'rhythmbox -d' from when this happens.